The paint process starts with prep, continues through application and ends with a beautifully finished project. This article will show you how to select the appropriate supplies, choose the right paint and incorporate our best tips to help you complete your next paint project. You can even watch the paint process from start to finish with the video below.
1. Choose the right paint supplies
Assembling your full list of paint tools before starting your project will allow you to focus on completing your project instead of running back to the store mid-project. Watch this video to cover everything you need to start your next paint project.
Paint product checklist
- Spackle and caulk (for covering any holes or knicks in your wall)
- A spackle knife
- A drop cloth to keep the floor paint-free
- Painter’s tape
- An angled sash brush
- A paint roller, roller cover and roller tray
- Rags for wiping
- A bucket of water
2. Choose the right paint
Color is an important factor when choosing the right paint.You will want the color of your walls to harmonize with the color of your furniture and décor. Start by considering your room and its surroundings to help select the perfect color. Once you have settled on a color, then consider whether you want a sheen with more gloss or less gloss. Watch the video to learn more about how to select the best color and sheen for your project.
One way of ordering your color selection process is by following these steps:
- Consider your furniture, your flooring, window treatments and everything else that’s fundamental to your room
- If you’re buying new things for a room, such as bedding, do it before you select a
paint and place your new pieces in their future positions
- Now consider this view of your room before selecting a color of paint, as the new paint should compliement the furntiture
- Choose a few favorite colors from our paint color palette
- Hang swatches or experiment with samples of the colors (all Olympic colors are available in 8oz. samples)
3. Use our best tips for applying new paintNow all you have to do is gather your new materials and get to work. We explain how you can make the paint process simple and efficient by following some simple steps and staying organized. Watch below:
- Spread out your drop cloths over your flooring and any furniture left in the room
- Stir the paint before pouring it into a roller tray
- Cut-in (paint the corners and edges) with an angled sash brush and roll one wall at a time to prevent banding or discoloration
- Cover all your surfaces in order, until you are finished with your first coat
- Remove painter’s tape immediately after painting, as removing painter’s tape after the paint has fully dried can damage your finish
- Allow the paint ample time to dry in order to prevent bubbling and adhesion issues (see detailed directions on its product label)
Your painted room should now look beautiful and fresh. At this point, it's simply a matter of time. Avoid cleaning your newly painted surfaces for at least 30 days, but once that time has passed, use a mild detergent with a soft rag to clean and maintain the paint's great look.
NOTE: Please refer to the Product Label, Technical Data Sheet (TDS) or Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for safety and detailed application instructions.